my goal is to help you practice the skill of creating new habits. I believe you can get better at creating new habits. Much like a pianist who practices scales, or a chef who practices knife skills, people can practice the skills of creating habits.
- Is undertaken at least once a day
- takes less than 30 seconds
- requires little effort
- After I brush my teeth, I will floss 1 tooth (flossing all my teeth is too big a behavior to practice, according to Dr. Fogg)
- After I pour AM coffee, I will play 3 banjo chord changes (in less than 30 seconds…)
- After I go to bathroom, I will fill my water glass (note, I didn’t say DRINK the water, just fill the glass – but of course I then went ahead and drank!)
- I didn’t keep the banjo right next to the coffee pot, so didn’t have an immediate “cue”
- It never became “automatic” to tie the coffee anchor to the banjo habit
- The teeth habit, and drinking water habit, were intuitively linked to the anchors – both behaviors now so automated I still do them! But the coffee/banjo link was tenuous at best
Want to give 3 Tiny Habits a try? Join here!